Aside from their easy preparation and deliciously crispy texture, pumpkin seeds are also chock-full of nutrients; their multiple health benefits give us plenty of reasons to keep snacking! According to the USDA, pumpkin seeds are full of essential nutrients, particularly magnesium, potassium and zinc. Magnesium helps regulate blood pressure, as well as muscle and nerve function. Potassium has also been shown to help regulate blood pressure, as well as maintain healthy bones and muscles. Zinc does wonders for the immune system, helping to prevent respiratory infections and other common illnesses. Pepitas are also a phenomenal source of protein—just one cup has over 18 grams.
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
2. While it's OK to leave some strings and pulp on your seeds (it adds flavor) clean off any major chunks.
3. Toss pumpkin seeds in a bowl with the melted butter or oil and seasonings of your choice.
4. Spread pumpkin seeds in a single layer on baking sheet (using parchment paper makes for easy clean up).
5. Bake for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown.